- •Source, transmission, cross infection, hazards, risks within higher education.
- •Recommendations to protect people with cystic fibrosis at university/college.
- •Importance of risk assessment and good communication.
- •Guidance for students, educators, health/wellbeing and healthcare teams.
- •Glossary of clinical, microbiological and educational/pedagogical terms.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cystic fibrosis.Lancet. 2021; 397: 2195-2211https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)32542-3
- Role of CFTR in epithelial physiology.Cell Mol Life Sci. 2017; 74: 93-115https://doi.org/10.1007/s00018-016-2391-y
Johns Hopkins Cystic fibrosis Center. Knowledge: CFTR. Available from: https://hopkinscf.org/knowledge/cftr/[Accessed 18 October 2022].
- Cystic fibrosis year in review 2019: section 1 CFTR modulators.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2020; 55: 3236-3242https://doi.org/10.1002/ppul.25039
- From ivacaftor to triple combination: a systematic review of efficacy and safety of CFTR modulators in people with cystic fibrosis.Int J Mol Sci. 2020; 21: 5882https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms21165882
- Independent living and cystic fibrosis report.(Available from:)https://www.cfireland.ie/images/uploads/resources/Independent_Living_Report_2018.pdf([Accessed 18 October 2022])Date: March 2018
- Employment and work disability in adults with cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2012; 11: 137-143https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcf.2011.10.008
- Employment status and work ability in adults with cystic fibrosis.Int J Environ Res Publ Health. 2021; 1811776https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph182211776
- Employment in adults with cystic fibrosis.Occup Med (Lond). 2014; 64: 87-94https://doi.org/10.1093/occmed/kqt140
- Information for educators about cystic fibrosis.(Available from Last updated)https://cfstrong.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/CFCC-Tertiary-education-fact-sheet-V3.pdf([Accessed 18 October 2022])Date: 2020
- Cystic Fibrosis Trust. Information for training providers, colleges and universities.(Available from Last updated)https://www.cysticfibrosis.org.uk/sites/default/files/2020-12/Info%20for%20training%20providers%20booklet.pdf([Accessed 18 October 2022])Date: 2018
- Infection prevention and control guideline for cystic fibrosis: 2013 update.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: S1-S67https://doi.org/10.1086/676882
- Cystic fibrosis and career counselling.Cent Eur J Publ Health. 2019; 27: 279-284https://doi.org/10.21101/cejph.a5634
- 2030: Incheon Declaration and Framework for Action for the implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 4: ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.Year of publication, 2015 (Available from:)https://unesdoc.unesco.org/in/rest/annotationSVC/DownloadWatermarkedAttachment/attach_import_0b7384d8-01bc-4ca4-9020-06875543c0f6?_=245656eng.pdf&to=83&from=1#pdfjs.action=download([Accessed 18 October 2022])
- SDG 4 - policies for flexible learning pathways in higher education: taking stock of good practices internationally.IIEP-UNESCO. 2015; (Working Papers. SDG 4 - Policies for flexible learning pathways in higher education: taking stock of good practices internationally. Year of publication) (Available from:) ([Accessed 18 October 2022])
- How universities can make reopening safer this autumn.BMJ. 2021; 374: n2019https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.n2019
- Epidemiology of infection and current guidelines for infection prevention in cystic fibrosis patients.J Hosp Infect. 2015; 89: 309-313https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2015.02.005
- Microbiology of cystic fibrosis airway disease.Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2019; 40: 727-736https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0039-1698464
- Advances in understanding and managing Scedosporium respiratory infections in patients with cystic fibrosis.Expet Rev Respir Med. 2020; 14: 259-273https://doi.org/10.1080/17476348.2020.1705787
- The role of respiratory viruses in cystic fibrosis.J Cyst Fibros. 2008; 7: 320-328https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcf.2007.12.002
- Virus and cystic fibrosis: rhinoviruses are associated with exacerbations in adult patients.J Clin Virol. 2014; 60: 147-153https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcv.2014.02.005
- Incidence and clinical impact of respiratory viruses in adults with cystic fibrosis.Thorax. 2014; 69: 247-253https://doi.org/10.1136/thoraxjnl-2013-204000
- Respiratory viruses are associated with common respiratory pathogens in cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2014; 49: 926-931https://doi.org/10.1002/ppul.22917
- The role of respiratory viruses in adult patients with cystic fibrosis receiving intravenous antibiotics for a pulmonary exacerbation.J Cyst Fibros. 2014; 13: 49-55https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcf.2013.06.004
- Influenza-associated cystic fibrosis pulmonary exacerbations.Chest. 2010; 137: 852-860https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.09-1374
- Legislation.gov.UK.(Equality Act)2010 (Available from:)[Accessed 18 October 2022])
- Infection control.(Available from Last updated)[Accessed 18 October 2022])
- Cystic fibrosis pathogens survive for extended periods within cough-generated droplet nuclei.Thorax. 2019; 74: 87-90https://doi.org/10.1136/thoraxjnl-2018-211567
- Real-time locating systems to improve healthcare delivery: a systematic review.J Am Med Inf Assoc. 2021; 28: 1308-1317https://doi.org/10.1093/jamia/ocab026
- The top 10 research priorities in cystic fibrosis developed by a partnership between people with CF and healthcare providers.Thorax. 2018; 73: 388-390https://doi.org/10.1136/thoraxjnl-2017-210473
- Associations between adherence, depressive symptoms and health-related quality of life in young adults with cystic fibrosis.SpringerPlus. 2016; 5 (Erratum in: Springerplus. 2017; 5: 2119): 1216https://doi.org/10.1186/s40064-016-2862-5
- Flying the nest: a challenge for young adults with cystic fibrosis and their parents.Patient Prefer Adherence. 2017; 11: 229-236https://doi.org/10.2147/PPA.S124814
- Environmental infection control guidelines. Appendix B. Air. Guidelines for environmental infection control in health-care facilities.2003 (Available from:)Last updated July 22, 2019. [Accessed 18 October 2022])
- Airborne transmission of respiratory viruses.Science. 2021; 373eabd9149https://doi.org/10.1126/science.abd9149
- Laboratory-acquired infections: are microbiologists at risk?.Clin Microbiol Newsl. 2006; 28: 1-6https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinmicnews.2005.12.004
Health and Safety Executive. Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. Available from: https://www.hse.gov.uk/legislation/hswa.htm. [Accessed 18 October 2022].
- Control of Substances hazardous to health.(COSHH). Available from:[Accessed 18 October 2022])
European Agency for Safety and Health at Work. Directive 2000/54/EC - biological agents at work. Available from: https://osha.europa.eu/en/legislation/directives/exposure-to-biological-agents/77. Last updated 08/04/2021. [Accessed 18 October 2022].
- Biosafety in microbiological and Biomedical laboratories (BMBL).(Available from:)6th ed. 2020 (Last updated June)[Accessed 18 October 2022])
- Biosafety guidelines for handling microorganisms in the teaching laboratory: development and rationale.J Microbiol Biol Educ. 2013; 14: 78-83https://doi.org/10.1128/jmbe.v14i1.531
- ASM task committee on the revision of the 2012 laboratory biosafety guidelines. Guidelines for biosafety in teaching laboratories version 2.0: a revised and updated manual for 2019.J Microbiol Biol Educ. 2019; 20 (3.57): 20https://doi.org/10.1128/jmbe.v20i3.1975
- Management of accidental laboratory exposure to Burkholderia pseudomallei and B. mallei.Emerg Infect Dis. 2008; 14: e2https://doi.org/10.3201/eid1407.071501
- Septic monoarthritis of the first carpo-metacarpal joint caused by Mycobacterium kansasii.Chir Main. 2005; 24: 52-54https://doi.org/10.1016/j.main.2004.11.006
- Laboratory-acquired infections.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 49: 142-147https://doi.org/10.1086/599104
- Laboratory-acquired meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in two microbiology laboratory technicians.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2006; 25: 470-472https://doi.org/10.1007/s10096-006-0164-5
- Laboratory-acquired EMRSA-15 infection.J Hosp Infect. 2003; 54: 323-325https://doi.org/10.1016/s0195-6701(03)00188-9
- Laboratory-Acquired Infections in Flanders (2007–2012) – an online survey.(Available from:)[Accessed 30 December 2022])
- Laboratory-acquired fungal infections: a review.Arch Microbiol Immunology. 2020; 4: 51-56
- Laboratory-acquired parasitic infections from accidental exposures.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2001; 14: 659-688https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.14.3.659-688.2001
- Definition of dangerous microbes contaminated white coats for students of health colleges and science.Arab Un J Agri. Sci. 2016; 24: 645-651
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus contamination of high-touched surfaces in a university campus.J Appl Microbiol. 2022; 132: 4486-4500https://doi.org/10.1111/jam.15526
- Microbial contamination of computer keyboards in a university setting.Am J Infect Control. 2009; 37: 507-509https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2008.10.032
- Bacterial contamination of computer keyboards and mice in a university Setting.J Biol Agri Healthcare. 2013; 3: 11-14
- Always blow your own trumpet! Potential cross-infection hazards through salivary and respiratory secretions in the sharing of brass and woodwind musical instruments during music therapy sessions.J Hosp Infect. 2004; 56: 245https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2003.07.005
- Successful disinfection of trumpet mouthpieces using domestic steam disinfection.Lett Appl Microbiol. 2020; 71: 506-509https://doi.org/10.1111/lam.13367
- Concerns for people with cystic fibrosis (PWCF) when travelling pre COVID-19.Ulster Med J. 2022; 91: 53-55
- Work environment risks for health care workers with cystic fibrosis.Respirology. 2018; 23: 1190-1197https://doi.org/10.1111/resp.13404
- Re-purposing of domestic steam disinfectors within the hospital-at-home setting.Infect Dis Health. 2021; 26: 72-80https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idh.2020.09.005
- The effect of CFTR modulators on airway infection in cystic fibrosis.Int J Mol Sci. 2022; 23: 3513https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms23073513