- •Less than 50% of public health degrees in Australia and New Zealand offer any IPC content as core or elective subjects.
- •Public health tertiary education in Australia and New Zealand is deficient in IPC skills and knowledge.
- •Mandatory IPC content within Australian and New Zealand public health programs is needed.
- •This report is the first of its kind to conduct such an audit of IPC content in public health education.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- What is public health?.PHAA, Australia2018 ([updated 2018; cited 2021 Jun 03]. Available from:)
- The delivery of health promotion and environmental health services; Public health or primary care settings?.Healthcare. 2018 May 07; 6 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare6020042): 42-48
- Public health services [Internet]. Copenhagen: World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe. [updated 2021; cited 2021 Jun 30]. Available from:)https://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/Health-systems/public-health-services/public-health-servicesDate: 2012 (
- Careers in public health [Internet].PHAA, Australia2019 ([cited 2021 Jun 10]. 2 pp. Available from:)
- Infection prevention and control in allied health.Australian Allied Health Leadership Forum, Australia2020 ([cited 2021 Jun 11]. 123 pp. Available from:)https://ahpa.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/200903-Infection-Prevention-Control-in-Allied-Health-Practice.pdf
- Australian guidelines for the prevention and control of infection in healthcare.National Health and Medical Research Council, Australia2019 ([cited 2021 Jun 11]. 363 pp. Available from:)
- General Assembly: Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.United Nations, New York2015 ([cited 2021 Jun 10]. 35 pp. Available from:)
- Guidelines on Core Components of Infection Prevention and Control Programmes at the National and Acute Health Care Facility Level.World Health Organization, Geneva2016 ([cited 2021 Jun 11]. Available from:)
- International health regulations [Internet].World Health Organization, Geneva2005 ([updated 2016; cited 2021 Jun 13]. 74 pp. Available from:)
- Emergency response framework.World Health Organization, Geneva2017 ([cited 2021 Jun 11]. 68 pp. Available from:)
- Methodology for prioritizing severe emerging diseases for research and development.World Health Organization, Geneva2017 ([cited 2021 Jun 11]. 21 pp. Available from:)
- Public health job advertisements in Australia and New Zealand: a changing landscape.Aust N Z J Publ Health. 2019 Sep 18; 43 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1111/1753-6405.12931): 522-528
- The growth of Australian public health graduates and courses, 2001-2018: implications for education and employment opportunities.Aust N Z J Publ Health. 2021 Feb 22; 45 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1111/1753-6405.13076): 95-100
- Building public health workforce capacity in Australia: Case studies of academic public health education and workforce preparation.ANAPHI, Australia2016 (86 pp. Available from:)http://caphia.com.au/testsite/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Building-PH-Workforce-Capacity-Australia.pdf
- Public health workforce research in review: a 25-year retrospective.Am J Prev Med. 2012 May 01; 42 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2012.01.031): 17-28
- Action Plan: Public Health Workforce Development [Internet]. United States: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.2018 ([updated 2019; cited 2021 Jun 12]. Available from:)
- Strategic Plan: 2016-2020 [Internet].CAPHIA, Australia2016 ([cited 2021 Jun 14]. 5 pp. Available from:)
- Te Rākau o te Uru Kahikatea Public Health Nursing Knowledge and Skills Framework.PHA, New Zealand2017 ([cited 2021 Jun 14]. 27 pp. Available from:)
- Health care without avoidable infections: The critical role of infection prevention and control.World Health Organization, Geneva2016 ([cited 2021 Jun 15]. 16 pp. Available from:)
- Strategies to prevent healthcare-associated infections: A narrative overview. Risk Manag Healthc Policy.2020 Sep 09 ([cited 2021 Jul 10];13:1765-1780. Available from: https://doi.org/10.2147/RMHP.S269315)
- Identifying essential infection control competencies for newly graduated nurses: a three-phase study in Australia and Taiwan.J Hosp Infect. 2014 Feb 01; 86 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2013.08.009): 100-109
- Infection prevention and control.Nursing Standard. 2012 Nov 09; 29 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.7748/ns.29.29.37.e7257): 37-42
- Understanding the economic impact of health care care-associated infections: a cost perspective analysis.J Infusion Nurs. 2019 Mar/Apr; 42 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1097/NAN.0000000000000313): 61-69
- Assessing and reducing risk to healthcare workers in outbreaks.Health Secur. 2020 Jun 17; 18 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1089/hs.2019.0131): 205-211
- Broadening the infection prevention and control network globally; 2017 Geneva IPC-think tank (part 3).Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2019 May 10; ([cited 2021 Jul 12];8(74). Available from: https://doi.org/10.1186/s13756-019-0528-0)
- Education and training in infection prevention and control: exploring support for national standards.Infect Dis Health. 2021 May 01; 26 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idh.2020.12.002): 139-144
- Nosocomial transmission and outbreaks of coronavirus disease 2019: the need to protect both patients and healthcare workers.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2021 Jan 06; 10 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1186/s13756-020-00875-7)
- Global infection prevention gaps, needs, and utilization of educational resources: a cross-sectional assessment by the International Society for Infectious Diseases.Int J Infect Dis. 2019 Feb 19; 82 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2019.02.017): 54-60
- Impact of infection prevention and control training on health facilities during the Ebola virus disease outbreak in Guinea.BMC Public Health. 2018 Apr 24; 18 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-018-5444-3)
- Initial public health response and interim clinical guidance for the 2019 novel Coronavirus outbreak – United States, December 31, 2019-February 4, 2020.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020 Feb 07; 69 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6905e1): 140-146
- Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care. National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards [Internet]. Australia: Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care. 2021 ([cited 2021 Jun 15]. 92 pp. Available from:)https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-05/national_safety_and_quality_health_service_nsqhs_standards_second_edition_-_updated_may_2021.pdf
- The role of infections in the emergence of non-communicable diseases (NCDs): compelling needs for novel strategies in the developing world.J Infect Publ Health. 2009 Mar 05; 2 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiph.2009.02.001): 14-29
- Generic Competencies for Public Health in Aotearoa-New Zealand.PHA, New Zealand2007 (39 pp. Available from:)
- Foundation competencies for public health graduates in Australia.CAPHIA, Australia2016 (46 pp. Available from:)
- Health Protection: Principles and Practice [Internet].Oxford University Press, Oxford (UK)2016: 481 (Available from:)https://ebookcentral-proquest-com.libraryproxy.griffith.edu.au/lib/griffith/detail.action?docID=4729812
- Barriers and facilitators to healthcare workers' adherence with infection prevention and control (IPC) guidelines for respiratory infectious diseases: a rapid qualitative evidence synthesis.Cochrane Database of Syst Rev. 2020 Apr 21; (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD013582): 1-70
- Core components for effective infection prevention and control programmes: new WHO evidence-based recommendations.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2017 Jan 10; 6 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1186/s13756-016-0149-9): 1-18
- Understanding students' choice of electives and its implications.Stud High Educ. 2011 Jun 01; 37 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2010.512383): 309-325
- Education and training programmes for infection prevention and control professionals: mapping the current opportunities and local needs in European countries.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2020 Nov 09; 9 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1186/s13756-020-00835-1)
- Personal protective equipment for preventing highly infectious diseases due to exposure to contaminated body fluids in healthcare staff. Cochrane Database of Syst Rev [Internet].2020 May 15 ([cited 2021 Aug 04];(5). Available from: https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD011621.pub5)
- Overcoming the obstacles of implementing infection prevention and control guidelines.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2015 Sep 11; 21 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmi.2015.09.005): 1067-1671
- Infectious disease threats in the twenty-first century: strengthening the global response.Front Immunol [Internet]. 2019 Mar 28; ([cited 2021 Aug 04];10(549). Available from: https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2019.00549)
- The provision of infection prevention and control services in the public health sector in New Zealand.Healthc Infect. 2013 Sep 01; 18 (Available from: https://doi.org/10.1071/HI13017): 91-93
- Improving infection prevention and control at the health facility: Interim practical manual supporting implementation of the WHO Guidelines on Core Components of Infection Prevention and Control Programmes.World Health Organization, Geneva2018 (124 pp. Available from:)
World Health Organization. Antimicrobial resistance. Geneva: World Health Organization [updated 2020; cited 2021 Aug 24]. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/antimicrobial-resistance.
World Health Organization. Urgent health challenges for the next decade [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; [updated 2020; cited 2021 Aug 17]. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/photo-story/photo-story-detail/urgent-health-challenges-for-the-next-decade.