- •Communication of the implications of MDRO was often insufficient and inconsistent.
- •Isolation resulted in positive (privacy) and negative (reduced interaction) effects.
- •Psychological impacts included health concern/anxiety and stigma.
- •Inconsistent management of MDRO by staff and location resulted in frustration.
- •Patient experience is important when developing and implementing MDRO policy.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- High intermittent colonization by diverse clones of β-lactam-resistant Gram-negative bacilli suggests an excessive antibiotic use and different sources of transmission in haemodialysis patients.J Hosp Infect. 2021; 107: 76-86
- Vancomycin-resistant enterococci colonization among dialysis patients: a meta-analysis of prevalence, risk factors, and significance.Am J Kidney Dis : the official journal of the National Kidney Foundation. 2015; 65: 88-97
- Meta-analysis of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization and risk of infection in dialysis patients.J Am Soc Nephrol : JASN (J Am Soc Nephrol). 2014; 25: 2131-2141
- Risk factors and outcomes of carbapenem-nonsusceptible Escherichia coli bacteremia: a matched case-control study.J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2011; 44: 125-130
- Carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae is associated with poor outcome in hemodialysis patients.J Infect. 2012; 65: 318-325
- Controlling the spread of vancomycin-resistant enterococci. Is active screening worthwhile?.J Hosp Infect. 2014; 88: 191-198
- The economic value of screening haemodialysis patients for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the USA.Clinical microbiology and infection : the official publication of the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. 2011; 17: 1717-1726
- Infection prevention and control measures and tools for the prevention of entry of carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae into healthcare settings: guidance from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2017; 6: 113
- Rapid curbing of a vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium outbreak in a nephrology department.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol : CJASN. 2009; 4: 1559-1564
- Guideline for isolation precautions: preventing transmission of infectious agents in health care settings.Am J Infect Control. 2007; 35 (2007): S65-S164
- The effect of hospital isolation precautions on patient outcomes and cost of care: a multi-site, retrospective, propensity score-matched cohort study.J Gen Intern Med. 2017; 32: 262-268
- Vancomycin-resistant enterococci colonization does not increase mortality in end-stage kidney failure: a case-control study.J Hosp Infect. 2013; 85: 289-296
- Adverse effects of isolation in hospitalised patients: a systematic review.J Hosp Infect. 2010; 76: 97-102
- Adverse outcomes associated with Contact Precautions: a review of the literature.Am J Infect Control. 2009; 37: 85-93
- Effect of contact precautions for MRSA on patient satisfaction scores.J Hosp Infect. 2015; 90: 263-266
- Effects of the contact isolation application on anxiety and depression levels of the patients.Int J Nurs Pract. 2012; 18: 340-346
- Psychological impact of short-term isolation measures in hospitalised patients.J Hosp Infect. 2010; 75: 124-127
- Assessing patient and caregiver understanding of and satisfaction with the use of contact isolation.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 657-660
- Contact precautions for colonisation with multidrug-resistant organisms and haemodialysis patient quality of life and mood: a pilot case-control study.Renal Society of Australasia Journal, 2019: 19-25
- Identifying and integrating patient and caregiver perspectives for clinical practice guidelines on the screening and management of infectious microorganisms in hemodialysis units.Hemodialysis international International Symposium on Home Hemodialysis. 2017; 21: 213-223
- Management of multi-resistant organisms.(Accessed on 14/4/2022 at)
- An introduction to interpretative phenomenological analysis: a useful approach for occupational therapy research.Br J Occup Ther. 2009; 72: 37-39
- The psychosocial experience of patients with end-stage renal disease and its impact on quality of life: findings from a needs assessment to shape a service.ISRN Nephrol. 2013; 2013: 308986
- Contextualising renal patient routines: everyday space-time contexts, health service access, and wellbeing.Soc Sci Med. 2017; 183 (1982): 142-150
- Communication interventions make a difference in conversations between physicians and patients: a systematic review of the evidence.Med Care. 2007; 45: 340-349
- Helping people to live well with chronic kidney disease.Br J Hosp Med. 2020; 81: 1-10
- Infection control and bloodstream infection prevention: the perspective of patients receiving hemodialysis.Nephrol Nurs J : journal of the American Nephrology Nurses' Association. 2014; 41 (50; quiz 40): 37-39
- Examining hospital patients' knowledge and attitudes toward hospital-acquired infections and their participation in infection control.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015; 36: 461-463
- Adverse effects of isolation: a prospective matched cohort study including 90 direct interviews of hospitalized patients in a French University Hospital.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis : official publication of the European Society of Clinical Microbiology. 2017; 36: 75-80
- Contact isolation for infection control in hospitalized patients: is patient satisfaction affected?.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008; 29: 275-278
- Interprofessional perceptions and emotional impact of multidrug-resistant organisms: a qualitative study.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: 876-882