- •Improving PIVC auditing practices will help identify early signs of infection.
- •PIVC audit should be between 100 and 250 PIVCs per audit round.
- •Auditing of PIVC care is an effective method to promote best practice and improve clinical care.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Peripheral venous catheters: an under-evaluated problem.Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2009; 34: S38-S42
- Comparative safety and costs of transparent versus gauze wound dressings in intravenous catheterization.J Nurs Care Qual. 2011; 26: 371-376
- Securement methods for peripheral venous catheters to prevent failure: a randomised controlled pilot trial.J Vasc Access. 2015; 16: 237-244
- Dressings and securements for the prevention of peripheral intravenous catheter failure in adults (SAVE): a pragmatic, randomised controlled, superiority trial.Lancet. 2018; 392: 419-430
- Peripheral intravenous catheter non-infectious complications in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Adv Nurs. 2020; 77
- Audit of peripheral venous cannulae by members of an i.v. therapy forum.Br J Nurs. 2006; 15: 1244-1249
- Intravascular device use, management, documentation and complications: a point prevalence survey.Aust Health Rev. 2014; 38: 345-349
- Guidelines for the prevention of intravascular catheter-related infections.Am J Infect Contr. 2011; 39: S1-S34
- Short peripheral intravenous catheters and infections.J Infusion Nurs. 2012; 35: 230-240
- Peripheral intravenous catheter assessment: beyond phlebitis.Lancet Haematol. 2017; 4: e402-e403
- Clinical epidemiology and outcomes of peripheral venous catheter-related bloodstream infections at a university-affiliated hospital.J Hosp Infect. 2007; 67: 22-29
- A practical handbook for clinical audit.Team NCGS, 2005
- Clinical audits to improve critical care: Part 1 Prepare and collect data.Aust Crit Care. 2018; 31: 101-105
- Clinical audits to improve critical care: part 2: analyse, benchmark and feedback.Aust Crit Care. 2018; 31: 106-109
- Proposed standards for the design and conduct of a national clinical audit or quality improvement study.Int J Qual Health Care. 2013; 25: 357-365
- Using audits as evidence.BJN. 2017; 2: S3
- Prevalence, risk factors, and outcomes of idle intravenous catheters: an integrative review.Am J Infect Contr. 2016; 44: e167-e172
- Audit and feedback: effects on professional practice and healthcare outcomes.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; : CD000259
- The hidden cost of clinical audit: a questionnaire study of NHS staff.Health Pol. 2000; 51: 181-190
- Infusion therapy standards of practice.J Infusion Nurs. 2016; 39
- epic3: national evidence-based guidelines for preventing healthcare-associated infections in NHS hospitals in England.J Hosp Infect. 2014; 86: S1-S70
- 2016 Expert consensus document on prevention, diagnosis and treatment of short-term peripheral venous catheter-related infections in adult.Rev Española Quimioter. 2016; 29 (2016): 230-238
- Use of short peripheral intravenous catheters: characteristics, management, and outcomes worldwide.J Hosp Med. 2018; 13: E1-E7
- Reducing healthcare costs facilitated by surgical auditing: a systematic review.World J Surg. 2015; 39: 1672-1680
- Australian commission on safety quality in health care. Quality framework for health care. In. Sydney, Australia.Aust Comm Safety Qual Health Care. 2010;
- WHO guidelines on hand hygiene in health care: first global patient safety challenge clean care is safer care.World Health Organisation, Geneva2009
- Australian commission on safety and quality in health care. National hand hygiene initiative manual. In. Sydney, Australia.Aust Comm Safety Qual Health Care. 2019;
- The I-DECIDED clinical decision-making tool for peripheral intravenous catheter assessment and safe removal: a clinimetric evaluation.BMJ Open. 2020; 10e035239
- Healthcare practitioner perspectives and experiences regarding vascular access device data: an exploratory study.Int J Healthc Manag. 2020; : 1-8