- •The overall prevalence rate of schistosomiasis and soil-transmitted helminth infections were 19.9% and 64.4% respectively.
- •58.1% of the pupils were found positive for at least either Schistosomiasis or soil-transmitted helminth infection.
- •Mixed infection was observed in 11.0% of the school children.
- •Overall, prevalence of infection was higher in males than in females for all Schistosoma and STH infections.
Schistosomiasis and Soil-transmitted helminthiasis cause considerable morbidity and mortality in developing countries, especially among children. To this end it, a cross-sectional survey to determine the pattern of Schistosomiasis and Soil-transmitted helminthiasis co-infection was undertaken among primary school pupils in Oduma Community in Enugu State, Nigeria.
Fresh urine and stool samples were collected from pupils. The urine and stool samples were examined using sedimentation and Kat-Katz techniques respectively.
Of the 236 pupils examined, 137 (58.1%) were found positive for at least one helminth infection. Ascaris lumbricoides was the most prevalent soil-transmitted helminth (STH), with a prevalence rate of 40.3%, followed by Trichuris trichiura (15.3%) and hookworm (8.9%). Infection with Schistosoma haematobium was detected in 13.6% of the pupils while Schistosoma mansoni infection prevalence was 7.2%. Age group 4 -7 years recorded the highest prevalence for S. haematobium, A. lumbricoides, T. Trichiura and hookworm infections. Multiple infections were also recorded, with 22.9% having double infections and 2.5% having triple infections. The most common double infection was A. lumbricoides with T. trichiura (8.9%), while the most common triple infection was A. lumbricoides, S. haematobium and hookworm (1.7%).
The results from the present study revealed an evident need for the systematic and sustained administration of school-based chemotherapy program targeting the control of STH infection and Schistosomiasis using Albendazole and Praziquantel respectively in the community, instead of a one-off approach that was carried out.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Infection, Disease & Health
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Impact of human schistosomiasis in sub-Saharan Africa.Braz J Infect Dis. 2015 Apr; 19: 196-205
- Prevalence of helminthiasis among school children in some rural communities of Abia state, Nigeria.Anim Res Int. 2013 Jan 1; 10: 1817-1825
- Soil-transmitted helminth infections: ascariasis, trichuriasis, and hookworm.Lancet. 2006 May 6; 367: 1521-1532
- Control of neglected tropical diseases.N Engl J Med. 2007 Sep 6; 357: 1018-1027
- Heavy schistosomiasis associated with poor short-term memory and slower reaction times in Tanzanian schoolchildren.Trop Med Int Health. 2002 Feb; 7: 104-117
- The prevalence of gastro-intestinal tract parasites in primary school children in Ikwuano Local Government Area of Abia State, Nigeria.Niger J Parasitol. 2003 Jan 1; 24: 129-136
- Spatial distribution of helminth infections in Nigeria (2005-2015) and the need for attitudinal and behavioural changes in the water, sanitation and hygiene interventions.IFE J Sci. 2016 Jan 1; 18: 913-930
- Distribution of schistosomiasis and soil transmitted helminthiasis in Zimbabwe: towards a national plan of action for control and elimination.PLoS Neglected Trop Dis. 2014; 8 (14): e3014
- Soil-transmitted helminthiasis among school age children in ethiope East local government area, delta state, Nigeria.Afr J Biotechnol. 2005; 4 (1) (Available from: https://www.ajol.info/index.php/ajb/article/view/71123)
- Studies on the intestinal helminths infestation among primary school children in Gwagwada, Kaduna, North Western Nigeria.J Biol Agric Healthcare. 2013; 3: 48-53
- Prevalence of intestinal parasites among pupils in rural North eastern, Nigeria.Niger Med J. 2011; 52: 4-6
- Helminthiasis and hygiene conditions of schools in ikenne, Ogun state, Nigeria.PLoS Neglected Trop Dis. 2008. 30; 2 ([Internet]) (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2270794/)
- Prevalence of soil-transmitted helminths infections among public primary school pupils in ekpoma, edo state, Nigeria.Int J Community Res. 2012; 1: 30-34
- Prevalence and pattern of soil-transmitted helminthic infection among primary school children in a rural community in imo state, Nigeria.J Trop Med. 2015; (Available from:)
- Neglected tropical diseases in sub-Saharan Africa: review of their prevalence, distribution, and disease burden.PLoS Neglected Trop Dis. 2009 Aug 25; 3 (Available from:): 412
- Control of schistosomiasis.in: Rokni Mohammad Bagher Schistosomiasis [Internet]. Available from: Monday Francis Useh. InTech, 2012 (Control of Schistosomiasis, Schistosomiasis)
- Nigeria: “Ground zero” for the high prevalence neglected tropical diseases.PLoS Neglected Trop Dis [Internet]. 2012 Jul 31; 6 (Available from:): 1600
- Impact of human schistosomiasis in sub-Saharan Africa.Braz J Infect Dis. 2015 Mar 1; 19: 196-205
- Urinary schistosomiasis in urban and Semi-urban communities in south-eastern Nigeria.Iran J Parasitol. 2013; 8: 467-473
- Comparative analysis of urinary schistosomiasis among primary school children and rural farmers in Obollo-Eke, Enugu State, Nigeria: implications for control.Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2012 Oct; 5: 796-802
- Current status of schistosomiasis in Sokoto, Nigeria.Parasite Epidemiol Contr. 2016 Sep 1; 1: 239-244
- Current status of schistosomiasis amongst school children in igedeland, Benue state, Nigeria. [Internet].BSU Sci J. 2017; (Available from)http://bsusciencejournal.org/2017/06/21/current-status-of-schistosomiasis-amongst-school-children-in-igedeland-benue-state-nigeria/
- Schistosomiasis and soil-transmitted helminth infections.World Health Organization, Geneva2001: 1-2 (Resolution WHA54.19. 2001 May 22. Available from)
- World Health Organization, Geneva2006: 62 Preventive chemotherapy in human helminthiasis: coordinated use of anthelminthic drugs in control interventions ; a manual for health professionals and programme managers.
- Integrated implementation of programs targeting neglected tropical diseases through preventive chemotherapy: identifying best practices to roll out programs at national scale.Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2012 Mar; 86: 508-513
- Co-infections with Schistosoma haematobium and soil-transmitted helminths among school-aged children in Saki, Oyo State, Nigeria.JPHE. 2014 Dec 31; 6: 417-423
- Preliminary investigation on soil-transmitted helminth infections in rural communities in Anambra state, Nigeria.J Life Sci [Internet]. 2012; 6 ([cited 2017 Jul 20]) (Available from: http://search.proquest.com/openview/c3d854053c7104c813ecc272777d541c/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=2029942)
- Analysis of factors influencing adoption of okra production technologies among farmers in Enugu state, Nigeria.J Agric Soc Res. 2013 Jan 1; 13: 21-34
- Sample size estimation and power analysis for clinical research studies.J Hum Reprod Sci. 2012 Jan 1; 5: 7
- District laboratory practice in tropical countries.Cambridge University Press, Cambridge2000
- A simple device for quantitative stool thick-smear technique in Schistosomiasis mansoni.Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo. 1972 Dec; 14: 397-400
- Intestinal helminthiases and schistosomiasis among school children in an urban center and some rural communities in southwest Nigeria.Kor J Parasitol. 2007 Sep; 45: 233-238
- Epidemiology of soil-transmitted helminths, Schistosoma mansoni, and haematocrit values among schoolchildren in Ethiopia.J Infect Dev Ctries. 2013 Mar 14; 7: 253-260
- The prevalence of Ascaris and hookworm infections among school children in Obehie, Ukwa – West local government area Abia state, Nigeria.Niger J Parasitol. 2014 Jan 1; 35: 65-69
- Prevalence of urinary schistosomiasis among community primary school pupils in Amagunze, Enugu State, Nigeria. vol. 7. 2015: 46
- Schistosomiasis infection in primary schools in Agulu town of Anambra state, Nigeria.Anim Res Int. 2004 Jan 1; 1: 203-207
- Prevalence of urinary schistosomiasis in Ozuitem, Bende local government area of Abia state, Nigeria.Anim Res Int. 2017 Jan 7; 1 ([cited 2017 Jul 20]) (Available from: https://www.zoo-unn.org/index.php/ARI/article/view/452)
- Prevalence and intensity of urinary schistosomiasis among primary school pupils in minjibir local government area ofKano state.Bayero J Pure Appl Sci. 2009 Jan 1; 2: 75-78
- Schistosomiasis transmission at high altitude crater lakes in Western Uganda.BMC Infect Dis. 2008 Aug 11; 8: 110
- Schistosomiasis infection among primary school students in a war zone, Southern Kordofan State, Sudan: a cross-sectional study.BMC Public Health. 2013 Jul 11; 13: 643
- Intestinal helminthiases and schistosomiasis among school children in an urban center and some rural communities in southwest Nigeria, Intestinal helminthiases and schistosomiasis among school children in an urban center and some rural communities in southwest Nigeria.Kor J Parasitol. 2007 Sep 20; 45: 233-238
- The epidemiology of soil-transmitted helminths in Bihar state, India.PLoS Neglected Trop Dis. 2015 May 20; 9e0003790
- Time delays between patient and laboratory selectively affect accuracy of helminth diagnosis.Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2007 Feb; 101: 140-145
- Extensive multiparasitism in a village of Yunnan province, People's Republic of China, revealed by a suite of diagnostic methods.Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2008 May; 78: 760-769
- Prevalence and intensity of geohelminths infection in Oba-ile community of Osun state, Nigeria.Niger J Parasitol. 2007 Jan 1; 27: 62-67
- Prevalence of Schistosomes and soil-transmitted helminths and morbidity associated with schistosomiasis among adult population in lake Victoria Basin, Tanzania.Kor J Parasitol. 2015; 53: 525-533
- Schistosomiasis and soil-transmitted helminthiasis in Rwanda: an update on their epidemiology and control.Infect Dis Poverty. 2017; 6: 8
Published online: January 22, 2019
Accepted: December 19, 2018
Received in revised form: December 17, 2018
Received: July 24, 2018
© 2018 Australasian College for Infection Prevention and Control. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.