- •The study revealed a high sero-prevalence of Chlamydia pneumoniae in the studied population.
- •The comparative study between the two methods revealed a significant correlation.
- •We suggest therefore using immunoblot for diagnosis confirmation because it provides additional useful information.
Chlamydia pneumoniae is a pathogen associated with human respiratory tract infection, its viable presence in atherosclerotic plaques is also assumed to play significant function in cardiac diseases. Our study’s main objective is to evaluate Chlamydia pneumoniae sero-prevalence in Moroccan patients with cardiovascular diseases using and comparing two serological methods.
Two hundred eighteen patients were enrolled; serums were tested by microimmunofluorescence to explore the sero-prevalence. Simultaneously 74 serums were analyzed by both immunoblot and micro-immunofluorescence to evaluate recombinant proteins diagnosis value.
MIF results revealed 81% male and 84.5% female positive cases. The comparative study among 74 patients showed 78% men and 89% women positive cases by immunoblot, whereas MIF showed respectively 80% and 72%, a significant concordance between these methods was revealed. However, this comparison showed also two types of discrepancies, which may be related to difficulties in antigens detection by micro-immunofluorescence resulting from their structure complexity, or the antibodies reactivity with species’ common antigens.
The study revealed a high sero-prevalence of Chlamydia pneumoniae in the studied population, a big interest of recombinant protein was also revealed in the diagnosis accuracy. We suggest therefore using immunoblot for diagnosis confirmation because it provides additional useful information.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Infection, Disease & Health
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Acute respiratory infection due to Chlamydia pneumoniae: current status of diagnostic methods.Clin Infect Dis. 2007 Feb 15; 44: 568-576
- Chlamydia pneumoniae and the lung.Eur Respir J. 2000 Nov; 16: 1001-1007
- Chlamydia pneumoniae in abdominal aortic anevrysms: abundance of membrane components in the absence of heat shock protein 60 and DNA.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1999 Nov; 19: 2680-2686
- Molecular characterisation of Chlamydia pneumoniae associated to atherosclerosis.Pathog Dis. 2017; 75
- Chlamydia pneumoniae mediated inflammation in atherosclerosis: a meta-analysis.Mediat Inflamm. 2015 Aug 9; 2015 (378658): 1-9https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/378658
- Association between Chlamydophila pneumoniae infection and risk of coronary heart disease for Japanese: the JPHC study.Atherosclerosis. 2014 Apr; 233: 338-342
- Influence of intimal Chlamydophila pneumoniae persistence on cardiovascular complications after coronary intervention.Infection. 2015 Feb; 43: 51-57
- Failure to detect Chlamydia pneumoniae in atherosclerotic plaques of Australian patients.Pathology. 1998; 30: 169-172
- Investigation of Chlamydia pneumoniae infection in Moroccan patients suffering from cardiovascular diseases.J Infect Public Health. 2018 Mar – Apr; 11 (Epub 2017 Aug 30): 246-249https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiph.2017.07.029
- Serological response to Chlamydia pneumoniae in adults with coronary arterial fatty streaks and fibrolipid plaques.J Clin Microbiol. 1993 Aug; 31: 2212-2214
- Antigen conformation-dependence of Chlamydia trachomatis infectivity neutralization.J Infect Dis. 1997 Sep; 176: 713-721
- Simplified immunofluorescence test with trachoma-lymphogranuloma venereum (Chlamydia trachomatis) antigens for use as a screening test for antibody.J Clin Microbiol. 1975 Mar; 1: 250-255
- Chlamydia pneumoniae major outer membrane protein is a surface-exposed antigen that elicits antibodies primarily detected against conformation-dependent determinants.Infect Immun. 2001 May; 69: 3082-3091
- Chlamydia trachomatis Mip-like protein has peptidyl-prolylcis/trans isomerase activity that is inhibited by FK 506 and rapamycin and is implicated in initiation of chlamydial infection.Mol Microbiol. 1993 Mar; 7: 777-783
- Chlamydial heat shock proteins and disease pathology: new paradigms for old problems?.Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 7: 64-71
- Antibodies to 60-kilodalton heat shock protein and outer membrane protein 2 of Chlamydia pneumoniae in patients with coronary heart disease.Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 2002 Jan; 9: 66-74
- Identification of two novel genes encoding 97- to 99-kilodalton outer membrane proteins of Chlamydia pneumoniae.Infect Immun. 1999 Jan; 67: 375-383
- Part of chlamydia pneumoniae in atherosclerosis and exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asthma.Ann Biol Clin. 2005; 63: 179-184
- Chronic infection & coronary artery disease with special reference to Chlamydia pneumoniae.Indian J Med Res. 2012 Feb; 135: 228-232
- Chlamydia pneumoniae and atherosclerosis risk in populations: the role of seroepidemiology.J Infect Dis. 2000 Jun; 181: S417-S420
- Chlamydia pneumoniae and atherosclerosis: critical assessment of diagnostic methods and relevance to treatment studies.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2002 Jan; 15: 1-20
- Genomic, serologic, and clinical case-control study of Chlamydia pneumoniae and peripheral artery occlusive disease.J Vasc Surg. 2004 Aug; 40: 359-366
- A positive association of peripheral arterial occlusive diseases (PAD) Chlamydophila (chlamydia) pneumoniae.J Basic Microbiol. 2005 Jul; 45: 294-300
- Seropositivity to Chlamydia pneumoniae is associated with risk of first ischemic stroke.Stroke. 2006 Mar; 37: 790-795
- Novel inflammatory biomarkers and their correlation to chlamydia pneumonia titres in acute ischemic stroke.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2014 October; l23: 2391-2396
- Association of antibodies to chlamydial lipopolysaccharide with endovascular presence of Chlamydophila pneumoniae in carotid artery disease.Atherosclerosis. 2004 Mar; 173: 47-54
- Limits of microimmuofluorescence test and advantges of immunoblotting in the diagnisis of chlamydiosis.Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 1996 Nov; 6: 706-709
- Serological diagnosis of Chlamydia pneumoniae infection and perspectives.J Med Microb. 2010 Nov; 59: 1269-1274
- Chlamydia pneumoniae serology: importance of methodology in patients with coronary heart disease and healthy individuals.J Clin Mirobiol. 2001 May; 39: 1859-1864
- Standardizing Chlamydia pneumoniae assays: recommendations from the centers for disease control and prevention (USA) and the laboratory centre for disease control (Canada).Clin Infect Dis. 2001 Aug 15; 33: 492-503
- Chlamydophila pneumonie: from its proteomics to arteriosclerosis.Enfermedades Infecc Microbiol Clínica. 2008 Dec; 26: 629-637
- High-resolution of serovar-specific and common antigenic determinants of the major outer membrane protein of Chlamydia trachomatis.J Exp Med. 1988 Mar 1; 167: 817-831
Published online: December 01, 2018
Accepted: October 22, 2018
Received in revised form: August 18, 2018
Received: May 11, 2018
© 2018 Australasian College for Infection Prevention and Control. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.